Subject: Re: LightWave 3.5 is fading fast!
From: [email-masked]
To: LightWave Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 17:06:29 -0400

On Sun, 30 Apr 1995 [email-masked] wrote:

> > Last night, I had to turn my machine off 4 times, reload the scene and 
> > try rendering before I finally got LW to start rendering without the 
> > little speckles showing up.  
> 
> I'm not so sure this is LW. Do you run other software a lot? I have had 
> my amiga do strange display suff, (even had one wig out at a studio) and 
> 9 times out of ten it was the Custom chips on the MB getting over heated. 
> try taking the cover off... setting a small fan to blow cool air over it 
> and see if your speckles still show up... worth a try eh?

Well, my first thought was that this was a heating problem, but the thing 
is, if I just let the computer render away, it can go for days or weeks 
of uninterrupted rendering without any speckles whatsoever.  If I 
interrupt a rendering (for whatever reason) and restart it later, there's 
20 or 30 percent chance now that LW will start rendering speckles in the 
image.  Sometimes I can get rid of the speckles by simply rebooting, or 
sometimes I have to shut the machine off altogether, but it usually works 
fine once I power up again and reload the scene.

I do not run any other programs in the background aside from the usual 
Arexx stuff and occasionally Pegger....these programs do not seem to have 
any affect on the speckles.

Oh well, guess I'll have to hope for the best when LightWave 4.0 shows up!

                                      -David Warner
                                       Event Horizon Graphics